The best way to get answers is to ask directors on your board to utilize their networks and link you to a lawyer who may be willing to answer your question for free or low cost. You also may want to consider recruiting a legal professional for your board of directors. Be aware, however, that attorneys work in many different areas of specialty, and their expertise may not always line up with your needs.
Additionally, there are a number of pro bono law resources that may be able to help you find answers for your legal questions.
- The Ask IYI service will provide Indiana youth-serving 501c3 organizations with up to 30 minutes of free legal advice: http://www.iyi.org/askus/request.aspx
- Indiana Pro Bono Commission: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/probono/attorneys/provider/index.html
- Lawyers Serving the Public Good: http://www.probono.net/
- American Bar Association Pro Bono Projects: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/nav_projects.shtml
- Indiana Legal Services: http://www.indianajustice.org/Home/PublicWeb/LegalSvcs
Where have you had success finding answers to legal questions about your nonprofit organization?